An Immune Boosting Mushroom Soup that your body will thank you for. With the seasons starting to change and all the sickness that’s been going around, our bodies need an extra boost to help them recover. This mushroom soup recipe, created by The Broth Sisters, is delicious, packed with umami, plus it’s simple and easy to make.
Mushrooms are a powerful source of nutrients including B vitamins, which play an important role in providing energy as well as calming the nervous system, selenium, an antioxidant that protects the bodies cells from damage and boosts the immune system, and the only plant based source of Vitamin D, which is necessary for assisting in the absorption of other vitamins and minerals into the body. Mushrooms also contain choline, an important nutrient that assists with sleep and improving memory. Mushrooms are a great source of fibre, an important element in maintaining the health of the digestive tract and providing a food source for gut microbes.
Thyme is known to benefit our health by relieving stress, reducing respiratory issues, boosting the immune system, improving heart health, is a powerful anti-fungal, and with one of the highest antioxidant concentrations of any herb, it contributes to eliminating free radicals throughout the body.
Add to this the convenience and wonderful gut healing and anti-inflammatory properties of The Broth Sisters, gelatinous chicken bone broth, the goodness of garlic and the antibacterial and antiviral properties of coconut milk, and you have one very nourishing mushroom soup and potently healthy cup-of-goodness to sip and enjoy.
What you'll need for the immune boosting mushroom soup
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cups of mixed mushrooms sliced (recommended: Swiss brown, button and field mushrooms, and 3-4 porcini and oyster mushrooms rehydrated in 1/4 cup of water)
- 1 cup of gelatinous chicken bone broth from The Broth Sisters
- Pinch of sea salt from Exotic Bazaar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup of coconut cream (or fresh cream if you can tolerate dairy)
- 1 tablespoon organic butter
Bringing it all together to make the mushroom soup
- Sauté garlic and thyme in butter until fragrant and soft.
- Add mushrooms and water from rehydrated mushrooms and cook on low heat for 5-10 mins until mushrooms have softened.
- Add bone broth and continue to cook mushrooms until liquid is almost back to the boil. Simmer gently for a few minutes before stirring through coconut cream and seasoning to taste with sea salt and black pepper.
- Soup may be served as is, or blended to a creamy consistency in a blender on the soup setting.
- Serve the mushroom soup with extra sliced mushrooms and a sprig of thyme.
About the chicken broth from The Broth Sisters
Voted Australia’s BEST TASTING chicken broth.
A family and customer fave. If you are looking for the ultimate umami flavour to savour, this is THE one. Also known as our Papa’s penicillin, this recipe has been passed down through several generations and given a fresh palate with an infusion of herbs and spices. Kid and Grandma approved! Ready to sip.
Melbourne’s original and best traditionally prepared bone broth. Your local choice.
- Slow simmered for 24 hours to maximise extraction of nutrients.
- Hand crafted using local & ethically sourced ingredients including chicken bones from free-range chickens (chemical-free, hormone-free, antibiotic-free), filtered water, organic vegetables, fresh homegrown herbs, organic apple cider vinegar, Mount Zero Pink Lake salt and black peppercorns.
- FODMAP friendly, does not contain onion or garlic.
- Highly gelatinous.
- Preservative free.
- Gluten free.
- Low sodium
- Paleo and KETO friendly.
- Recyclable glass jars (refrigerated).
- The Broth Sisters broth and vegetable stocks are made by flavour fanatics who have spent a lot of time and love creating the most delicious and nutritious bone broth in Melbourne.